In a sector where the use of steel and concrete is inevitable, Van Elle, through our ever-developing sustainability programme, take this subject very seriously and look at waste reduction, the use of recycled products and alternative materials at every opportunity.
Our Vision includes:
- The use of competitive local suppliers
- Working with our supply chain to propose the most environmentally friendly materials for each project
- Working with our suppliers to develop new, more sustainable materials with a higher recycled content, producing less waste product and requiring less water usage
- Reduce and avoid producing waste when on-site
- Producing engineered, bespoke solutions in-house to address a number of industry requirements including sustainability
As we do not sub-contract and we only use fully employed labour, wherever possible, we use site teams who are local to each project and they are managed from our most local office location reducing distances travelled for operatives, members of the estimating and project management teams, materials and rigs/equipment, in turn reducing CO2 emissions.
We always engage with the communities local to projects with which we are involved, welcoming feedback based on our interaction with the community, impact of our services, our responsibility and actions taken.
Some ways in which we minimise the impact of our services upon the environment include:
- The use of recycled steel tube, formerly used in the oil industry, to form steel piles
- The use of bio oils in our rigs
- The use of PFA (Pulverised Fuel Ash), a waste product from coal fired power stations, in our grout products to reduce none sustainable product usage
- Recycling schemes within all offices and yards
- Expert in-house design team reduce the number, depth and steel content of all products wherever possible. We will often propose more sustainable, value engineered options as well as pricing the clients’ required solutions.
- The in-house research and development of both new and existing products/techniques i.e. Smartfoot® precast modular foundations which is a completely bespoke system, only using as much concrete and steel as is required to carry the loads on that wall.